After finishing Jon Krakauer’s Into The Wild, I immediately took to my journal to write down my top lessons and takeaways from the stories of Chris McCandless aka Alexander Supertramp and the other adventurers noted in the book.
I’m sharing this journal entry as-written to retain the essence of how I was feeling immediately after finishing the book.
- Call your parents. They always want to hear from you.
- Life with less can be more fulfilling.
- Convention is the enemy.
- We are prisoners of society, of civilization.
- Experiences are best when shared. Chris comes to this realization toward the end of his life after spending several months in isolation in Alaska. At first this expedition made him feel more alive than anything else. But after a time, he concludes experiences are better when shared with others.
- Relationships and love matter.
- Document your own life with pictures and journals.
- Surround yourself with writings that move you.
- Don’t wait to start living out your beliefs. Now is the time.
- You can get by with much less than you think.
- Chris McCandless blindly trusted so many strangers: for a ride, for shelter, for employment. To these people unknown to him, he showed courtesy, honesty, and hard work. In response, they all helped him. What would happen if we all gave people we don’t know the benefit of the doubt? Gave them compassion, love, and respect as the default?
- Your limits are much farther than you think they are. Pushing those limits can be thrilling and exhilarating.
- When embarking on a new endeavor, take time to learn from experts who have walked the path before you.
- Be prepared.
If you enjoyed this article and the book Into The Wild, you might also enjoy the following:
- How to Discover Meaning and Purpose in Your Life – reflections on Viktor Frankl’s A Man’s Search For Meaning
- Choosing a Life of Mindfulness, Authenticity, and Less, and Letting Go of the Culture of More
- Self Improvement vs. Self Acceptance – Can You Do Both?
My vision is to help create a more peaceful and compassionate world with a sustainable future for humanity, returning balance between humans and the natural world. If you share in this vision, I’d love to connect with you:
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/kevincarlow
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/kevincarlow
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/kevincarlow